The Manasquan Underground Strength Gym Crew after a Sunday morning training session, POWER Magazines in hand!
Here are some critical tips for our athletes at The Manasquan & Edison Underground Strength Gym.
Remember, most athletes only train here 2 or 3 days a week. That leaves PLENTY of time to either ruin the work you put in here OR to maximize the work through a proper lifestyle, mindset and nutrition
Parents, we need your help here. Without your support and help, your child will NOT follow through.
That means cooking in quantity, making sure plenty of healthy snacks are available such as fruits, trail mix, avocado, almond butter / peanut butter, milk, etc.
I see some of our athletes doing this:
– skipping breakfast
– buying school lunch or only eating potato chips and a pretzel at lunch (This is HORRIBLE)
– Dinner is pasta and bread
This is a disaster waiting to happen as it contributes to serious fat gain, gives little energy, does not help build muscle and creates a slow metabolism.
*** Wrestlers ***
The wrestlers who need to lose weight, you should STILL eat a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner
and then increase exercise activity to burn calories rather than starving yourself into a weak, broken
1 of our wrestlers told me that his Coach relayed this horrible advice:
“if you’re over weight just starve yourself and don’t eat”
Actually. Sounds like shyt advice.
Wrestlers can still build lean muscle in season through our training and healthy eating.
They can still get stronger.
But, if you “starve yourself” you will wreck your body and will likely hate wrestling due to incorrect information.
The starvation will also cause the athlete to make poor food choices when he finally can eat.
It’s always better to eat healthy and add a little more exercise along with portion control if needed.
*** The BIG Lesson ***
Everyone Must Follow Through.
Ray Jazikoff was one of the most successful athletes we ever worked with, BOTH on and off the wrestling mat. He ALWAYS followed through & NEVER made 1 excuse. He began training with us in 7th grade.
What does “follow through” mean? In simple terms, Just do what you say you’re gonna do.
Follow the program we guide you on.
Follow the nutrition protocols we guide you on.
Do the extra bodyweight workouts at home.
At The Underground, be a great listener and a Hard worker, do not show up with half hearted intentions
or be there to joke around.
It’s not the place. Success requires intensity and work and YES, we want to have FUN but some athletes
need to focus better and save their chit chat time for before or after The Underground.
Your focus is required for safety and maximum results.
Parents & Athletes – Please drive safely.
Middle school athletes: work your weak areas with the bodyweight exercises from our welcome packet.
For ALL: Less time stuck on technology and more time reading.
Here are my book recommendations for Team Underground:
1) The Encyclopedia of Underground Strength & Conditioning
http://UndergroundStrengthBook.com or on Amazon at http://amzn.to/1AP9cXm
2) Lone Survivor – Watching the movie is NOT enough. The book details what it takes to become a SEAL and will remind our athletes to understand what hard work REALLY is and how fortunate we are to enjoy our freedom compared to what other kids don’t get to experience
3) And, if they ARE going to listen / use technology, this is a GREAT podcast from SPARTAN UP!
– Here is 4 X national champ, Kyle Dake:
– Gracie Van Der Byle who swims at NIGHT sometimes over 100 miles at a time, she is inspiring and tough!
– Your truly on how I took a stand in Life and stopped allowing mistakes, set backs and “failures” to hold me back
Enjoy and see you at The Underground!
— Z & Team —