This Summer I’ve heard the most “I feel light headed” comments than ever before.
As well as these comments:
– I woke up at 12 o’clock
– I didn’t really get to eat today, I just had a bowl of cereal
Many of our athletes, especially those in Football, are likely walking around slightly dehydrated.
Many show up to The Underground in Edison and Manasquan with 1 small water bottle.
Our athletes need to do the following:
– Drink a LOT more water. If you’re outdoors during the day you need to drink 1 gallon of water by 5 PM. The heat along with training and sun beating down on you requires more hydration.
– Have several pieces of fruit throughout the day: watermelon, oranges, peaches, blueberries and pineapple. You can pick these up at any supermarket and cut them up so you have a large bowl of fruit salad in the house.
– Eat small meals, frequently throughout the day. If you need quick calories and you’re in a rush or out and about with your friends, stop at the local 7-11 and get some trail mix and chocolate milk. You can also grab some Greek Yogurt and have 2 – 3 cups of Yogurt a day.
There are plenty of fast, quality options, no matter what.
– Make sure breakfast is STRONG. Eat eggs, toast with butter and some fruit. Add oatmeal if you’re still hungry.
You can always make a protein shake.
If you have protein powder, mix it up in a blender with water, a banana, a spoon of almond butter and a scoop of dried oats.
If you don’t have protein powder, make the old school strength shake:
– 12-16 oz organic whole milk
– spoon of organic honey
– 1 banana
– 1 spoon almond butter
– 1/2 cup dried oats
If you’re thin and need to gain weight, add a scoop of ice cream.
When you’re playing Football for 2 – 3 hours a day plus lifting, you NEED to fuel your body and mind.
Dedication to your nutrition is just part of Living the Code 365.
You need to train in season while your competition makes excuses for being too tired or too busy.
You must fire up the mind by reading great books, watching inspirational movies and so on.
The Manasquan Underground Strength Gym Crew after a Sunday morning training session, POWER Magazines in hand!
Here are some critical tips for our athletes at The Manasquan & Edison Underground Strength Gym.
Remember, most athletes only train here 2 or 3 days a week. That leaves PLENTY of time to either ruin the work you put in here OR to maximize the work through a proper lifestyle, mindset and nutrition
Parents, we need your help here. Without your support and help, your child will NOT follow through.
That means cooking in quantity, making sure plenty of healthy snacks are available such as fruits, trail mix, avocado, almond butter / peanut butter, milk, etc.
I see some of our athletes doing this:
– skipping breakfast
– buying school lunch or only eating potato chips and a pretzel at lunch (This is HORRIBLE)
– Dinner is pasta and bread
This is a disaster waiting to happen as it contributes to serious fat gain, gives little energy, does not help build muscle and creates a slow metabolism.
*** Wrestlers ***
The wrestlers who need to lose weight, you should STILL eat a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner and then increase exercise activity to burn calories rather than starving yourself into a weak, broken down state.
1 of our wrestlers told me that his Coach relayed this horrible advice:
“if you’re over weight just starve yourself and don’t eat”
Actually. Sounds like shyt advice.
Wrestlers can still build lean muscle in season through our training and healthy eating.
They can still get stronger.
But, if you “starve yourself” you will wreck your body and will likely hate wrestling due to incorrect information.
The starvation will also cause the athlete to make poor food choices when he finally can eat.
It’s always better to eat healthy and add a little more exercise along with portion control if needed.
*** The BIG Lesson ***
Everyone Must Follow Through.
Ray Jazikoff was one of the most successful athletes we ever worked with, BOTH on and off the wrestling mat. He ALWAYS followed through & NEVER made 1 excuse. He began training with us in 7th grade.
What does “follow through” mean? In simple terms, Just do what you say you’re gonna do.
Follow the program we guide you on.
Follow the nutrition protocols we guide you on.
Do the extra bodyweight workouts at home.
At The Underground, be a great listener and a Hard worker, do not show up with half hearted intentions or be there to joke around.
It’s not the place. Success requires intensity and work and YES, we want to have FUN but some athletes need to focus better and save their chit chat time for before or after The Underground.
Your focus is required for safety and maximum results.
Parents & Athletes – Please drive safely.
Middle school athletes: work your weak areas with the bodyweight exercises from our welcome packet.
For ALL: Less time stuck on technology and more time reading.
Here are my book recommendations for Team Underground:
1) The Encyclopedia of Underground Strength & Conditioning
http://UndergroundStrengthBook.com or on Amazon at http://amzn.to/1AP9cXm
2) Lone Survivor – Watching the movie is NOT enough. The book details what it takes to become a SEAL and will remind our athletes to understand what hard work REALLY is and how fortunate we are to enjoy our freedom compared to what other kids don’t get to experience
Time for Football Coaches to drop their egos and TRULY start caring for these kids and doing what is in the best interest of the kids. Threatening these Football Players who have worked so hard to get ahead and now to threaten them with the BS of “You need to show your face in the weight room Monday – Saturday or you’re not gonna play” is bull shyt.
When you TRULY care for the success of these kids AND your team, you will drop your ego. Parents need to step up and stop letting their kids get pushed into a crappy strength & conditioning program.
Final Thoughts for Underground Strength Gym Home Boys:
– Eat as recommended in this video and our welcome packet. You should have printed this out and should re-read it on a regular basis. Learn it, Live it, LOVE it.
– Perform extra workouts on your own using bodyweight exercises. Or, use the gym to your advantage. We offer you ALL UNLIMITED use of The Underground Strength Gym in BOTH Edison and Manasquan. Show up!
Below are a few videos to borrow from for Bodyweight Training on your own!
Parents & Athletes: ANY questions on extra training or nutrition, ask me or one of the Coaches and we’ll help you get dialed in!
Also, BIG favor. If you have friends in the Manasquan / Jersey Shore area that are committed athletes AND have supportive parents, please have them e mail me for details on The Manasquan Underground Strength Gym location.
We wanna pack the place in with hard workers, just like Edison!