There are 2 things all successful athletes need to have:
1) They need to be HUMBLE. This doesn’t mean to avoid showing their confidence, this means to keep an open mind and NEVER think you are too good to learn from a Coach. A humble athlete is coachable. Those who are too good or too busy to learn don’t stay at the top for long.
2) They need to be ready to HUSTLE. Hard work is ONE thing, even better than that is SMART work. This is how we dial in the training at The Underground Strength Gym. It’s EASY to make an athlete tired or exhausted or fatigued. Anyone can do that. It takes NO skill. A Great Coach understands how to give the athlete optimal training, where the training improves sports performance and does NOT take away from it.
Should we really be seeing young athletes in middle school and even high school with “Little Leaguers Elbow” or getting Tommy John surgery? NO.
The problem is those kids play too much sports and haven’t built their tendons, muscles and ligaments appropriately.
Again. SMART training is the ticket.
Watch this Video to hear what athletes have to say about being humble, training smart and working to hard to become a champion.
What Are The BIG 3 Mistakes Parents Make When Choosing
A Strength Coach For Their Child?
Lehigh Wrestlers Training In 100 Degree Plus Temps, Mid Summer With A 140 Mile Round Trip! THAT Is Commitment!
Through the many years of working with athletes and seeing the explosion of strength coaches around the country I have noticed some common themes that seem to confuse parents and ultimately hurt their child’s success.
As a parent myself, the phrase “time goes too fast” is severely underrated and the window of opportunity that athletes have to achieve success is small.
These common mistakes that parents make have happened (and continues to happen) at all levels of sports, from youth, to high school to the collegiate level.
Pay attention to these critical mistakes and avoid them to give your child the best opportunity to maximize his / her success.
1) What is The Coach’s Track Record for Success?
Before you commit to signing your child up for training with a Coach, or perhaps there is a Coach at the high school your child goes to, you want to find out what this Coach’s track record for success is.
Many Coaches get hired in schools or in facilities because not so much in part due to their knowledge, but often times out of convenience. As a former public school teacher I have seen some dangerous stuff happening inside high school weight rooms that were run by the sports coach or the math teacher.
Yes, it’s great to bring a teacher or coach in who works in the schools but what’s best for the kids is a safe program, one that has been proven to be effective with a Coach who has a track record of building stronger, faster and more powerful athletes.
As a Coach and Parent, I would ask myself why these kids weren’t getting the training they deserved? People told me I “cared too much”.
I had no clue there was such a thing as caring too much. I don’t see any other way to work with athletes.
Other times I noticed schools hiring a former college athlete to run the weight room, assuming that college sports experience is the same as being a highly qualified performance coach.
The mistake here is assuming that a high level athlete is also a high level coach.
Many high level athletes are NOT high level coaches. Being a competitive athlete and a successful coach requires different levels of experience and knowledge.
Some successful athletes who become coaches don’t understand how a less gifted athlete needs to work physically or mentally to get to that next level. They’ve never been in those shoes.
I have seen Olympic Gold medalists with absolutely NO knowledge of strength & conditioning as well as national champs who could not command attention and run a great practice.
Ask the Coach for his track record of success and then ask yourself the next question:
1) Does your Coach have a long term, proven track record for creating success working with athletes?
2) Are you choosing a Coach based on them being closer to home, conveniently located in the school and / or cheaper priced?
Not all, but many high school strength & conditioning coaches fill the position because a favor is being handed to them OR they work in the school district and it’s cheaper to pay them a little extra to open the doors to the weight room.
In experienced coaches have a tendency to place every single athlete on a cookie cutter program, never addressing individual weak areas, injuries, knowledge of building a solid foundation or remotely knowing anything about safety and technique.
There is a reason a Coach is cheap, just like there is a reason cars, clothing and certain restaurants are cheap.
Excellence is rarely conveniently found around the corner and cheaper.
Excellence takes work and your child deserves excellence.
A powerful strength & conditioning program will address your child’s individual level of overall fitness & physical preparedness, the program will address weak areas, imbalances, injuries and most of all, the program will address your child’s level of mental / emotional readiness.
When you see athletes training at The Underground Strength Gym you’ll notice that they are all on a different program, each program tailored to that athlete’s specific sport, his / her weak areas and emotional needs. Training an athletes goes FAR beyond getting faster, more explosive and stronger.
As a parent myself, I don’t look for the cheapest coaches and what is 5 minutes away, I look for the best for my kids.
Final Thoughts for Underground Strength Gym Home Boys:
– Eat as recommended in this video and our welcome packet. You should have printed this out and should re-read it on a regular basis. Learn it, Live it, LOVE it.
– Perform extra workouts on your own using bodyweight exercises. Or, use the gym to your advantage. We offer you ALL UNLIMITED use of The Underground Strength Gym in BOTH Edison and Manasquan. Show up!
Below are a few videos to borrow from for Bodyweight Training on your own!
Parents & Athletes: ANY questions on extra training or nutrition, ask me or one of the Coaches and we’ll help you get dialed in!
Also, BIG favor. If you have friends in the Manasquan / Jersey Shore area that are committed athletes AND have supportive parents, please have them e mail me for details on The Manasquan Underground Strength Gym location.
We wanna pack the place in with hard workers, just like Edison!